New Cannabis Crossbreeds for 2021
The rate at which breeders are introducing new strains is absolutely astounding. A significant relaxation of cannabis prohibition in many states has dramatically aided this cause. At the time of writing, practically two-thirds of American states have legalized MMJ. Up in Canada, weed is entirely legal for all adults (with caveats).
There are now at least three million MMJ patients in the United States. Add in the other millions of ‘customers’ around the world, and there is a thriving market. Next, consider modern society’s desire for the ‘new and shiny.’ Even though there are likely thousands of cannabis strains, people still want more. Breeders are complying with dozens of new strains popularized annually.
While it is common for us to look at five strains in-depth, we’re doing something different with this piece. We will briefly check out ten new cannabis strains for 2021. First, let’s take a quick look at how breeders find strains to crossbreed in the first place.
The Art of Crossbreeding Cannabis
In general, there are two types of crossbreeding:
- Inbreeding: Involves crossing females and males of the same strain. The goal is to create seeds that closely replicate the parent plants.
- Outbreeding: This process involves growing male and female plants of different strains. You place them in a room during the flowering stage to create seeds. It is a process that has hugely varied results!
When breeding, your first step is to buy seeds from reputable seed banks. Incidentally, you can read whether it is legal to purchase cannabis seeds online. In theory, you can cross practically any two cannabis strains. Indeed, you can try crossing three or more! However, the results are unpredictable in the main. For example, there is no guarantee that two top-shelf strains will create a masterpiece.
Cannabis Genetics: Dominant & Recessive Traits
After crossing your first batch of seeds, you end up with new seeds. Each one contains different genetics. Even though they come from the same parents, they develop unique phenotypes. Experienced breeders know how to find desirable traits in the next generation of seeds. They choose these characteristics and breed them over future generations. It is up to the individual to select the attributes they want. Examples include yield, aroma, color, taste, and pest resistance.
A ‘dominant’ trait is expressed often across your plants. A ‘recessive’ trait is not. Experts recommend using a ‘Punnett Square’ to track recessive and dominant traits when breeding. Please note that if a feature isn’t passed down from parents to the first generation, it doesn’t mean it has ‘vanished.’ It means it is a recessive characteristic that may show up occasionally in future generations.
The most desirable traits include:
- Yield: Who doesn’t want a massive amount of buds with every harvest!
- Potency: Likewise, many breeders want extremely high THC contents. It is becoming standard to see strains with 25+% THC.
- Short Flowering Period: These plants mature faster, so you can finish the process early. You can harvest strains with a flowering time of under eight weeks 3-4 times a year if you grow indoors.
- Size: In general, breeders want small plants because they are easy to manage in a tiny indoor grow.
- Durability: Certain strains excel in resisting pests and mold disease. These ‘tough’ plants require a lower level of maintenance than their fragile counterparts.
- Flavor: Check out our list of best-tasting cannabis strains for some delectable cannabis. You can grow sweet weed like Game Changer or something savory like Cheese.
It’s Time to Backcross!
When you find a suitable phenotype, the next step is to stabilize its genetics. One popular tactic is to use pollen from its parent to fertilize it. Next, grow the new batch of seeds and pick the phenotype you desire. Then you backcross it using its parent’s pollen. This process stabilizes the genetic traits. When you do it enough times, you end up with ‘homozygous’ seeds. At this stage, you will see minimal variations in genetics.
What Are the Best New Marijuana Strains of 2021?
There are a considerable number of great cannabis strains recently released. Picking just ten was a difficult task, and we’re sure to encounter disagreement. We have also divided the list into four ‘Feminized’, three ‘Regular,’ and three ‘Auto’ strains.
Best Feminized Strains
1 – Rare Hindu
Created by Rare Dankness, Rare Hindu is a cross between an OG#2 male, and a landrace Hindu Kush. It is an indica-dominant hybrid noted for its resinous buds. Those who have used it suggest Rare Hindu provides a feeling of calm and even enlightenment! The sweet, earthy smell is a treat, and the serene high is ideal for those in need of relaxation after a hard day. The buds are coated in frosty trichomes, and this strain offers a medium-high yield. If growing Rare Hindu, please note that the flowering time is 60-75 days.
2 – South Plant
This is a sativa-dominant hybrid that’s a cross of South India genetics with South African sativas. It is a good option for indoor growers because it is unlikely to exceed four feet in height. Please bear in mind that it has a dense central cola that requires staking. The Plant Organic Seeds bred this strain that also grows well in dry climates. At 56 days, its flowering time is on the short side. Indoors, its yield is up to 18 ounces per meter squared. Outdoors, you could get up to 22 ounces per plant. South Plant provides a happy, cerebral high.
3 – Strawberry Cane
If it’s all about yield for you, then Strawberry Cane is a brilliant new option. It is a cross of Strawberry Stardawg and Slurricane. Created by Holy Smoke Seeds, this plant forms several long colas covered in resinous purple buds. It is an ideal strain if you like to use SCROG or super-cropping techniques. With a sweet taste and a high that could boost creativity, we foresee big things for this strain. Strawberry Cane’s flowering time is 63 days.
4 – Tropicanna Banana
Brought to you by Barney’s Farm Seeds, this sativa-dominant hybrid has a THC content of up to 25%. It is a cross of Banana Kush and Tropicanna genetics and offers an uplifting effect. It is a robust plant that strongly resists diseases and pests. Indoors, it could yield up to 25 ounces per square meter. Outdoors, it is a monster capable of producing an incredible 70 ounces per plant! Its flowering time is 65-70 days.
5 – God Lemon
Bred by Massive Creations, God Lemon is a cross of Lemon Versace and Adonai genetics. It is an indica-dominant strain and isn’t available in feminized seed form. It grows well indoors or outside and provides a medium to high yield. Its flowering time is 8-9 weeks. Users note that God Lemon offers a beautiful blend of lemons, flowers, and Kush.
6 – Tangie Cookies
Bred by BC Bud Depot, this sativa-dominant hybrid is a cross of Girl Scout Cookies and Tangie. The combination of two powerhouse strains results in a THC measured at over 28%! A glance at Tangie Cookies bud suggests potency due to its enormous level of resin and terpenes. The intense citrus flavor is appealing, and it is already gaining traction as an option for individuals with fatigue and stress. Its flowering time is 8-9 weeks, and it produces a high yield.
7 – New Order
Mosca Seeds has introduced New Order to the marketplace. It is a strongly indica-dominant hybrid that’s a cross of Fire Alien White and Triangle Kush/Wookies #15. This strain is reportedly one of the breeder’s favorites given its moderate to high yield and satisfying high. New Order has a flowering time of 60-65 days. User reviews to date suggest that this isn’t a strain for newbies to mess around with!
8 – Fro-Yo Auto
G13 Labs created this strain, which has immediately gained rave reviews. It is a cross of GSC and Sunset Sherbet mixed with a ruderalis. Fro-Yo produces dense, purple, and highly-resinous flowers. It grows well indoors and outside, and its cultivation time is 70-75 days from seed. If you grow outdoors, you will likely get no more than four ounces a plant. However, indoors, Fro-Yo can produce up to 18 ounces per square meter planted.
9 – Cosmic Bomb Auto
This is a strain created by Bomb Seeds. It is a cross of an African landrace sativa genetics and LSD that’s high in THCV. On average, you can expect up to 20% THC and perhaps 2-3% CBD. Cosmic Bomb is a useful strain for evening use due to its relaxing effects. Its grow time is around 65 days from seed. Outdoors, you will get around seven ounces per plant. Indoors, you could get 22 ounces per square meter.
10 – Purple Lemonade
Bred by FastBuds Seeds, Purple Lemonade is created using purple, and citrus Cali genetics mixed with ruderalis. It has an elevated THC content of up to 22% and provides an intriguing high that combines sativa energy with a feeling of relaxation in the body. It is a favorite amongst users with a sweet tooth, and it can yield up to 18 ounces per square meter indoors. Purple Lemonade also has a fast growing time; it is ready for harvest as little as 56 days from seed.
Final Thoughts on New Marijuana Strains for 2021
There is an inordinate number of new cannabis strains produced on an annual basis, it seems. Breeders, free from prohibition in many places, are free to experiment as they see fit. Add in the new equipment and access to information, and it is no surprise that we see this scenario.
The truth is, we all have different tastes. Look at the countless varieties of cereal. In reality, you could place them all in a handful of groups. It is much the same as cannabis. Nonetheless, crossbreeding leads to some exciting and fun outcomes! Realistically, breeders are ‘topping out’ with regards to THC content.
However, they still have a vast amount of options when it comes to flavors and experiences. Given the existing strains, one could say the potential for ‘new’ strains is almost limitless. How ‘different’ they really are is a debate for another day. If you are skeptical, here are five marijuana strains with completely different effects.
If you're in the market for something new and exciting, these marijuana strains could be for you. Here are some of the best offerings of 2021 so far.
What are the Strongest Cannabis Strains in 2020-2021?
It could be the anxiety, stress, and depression produced by the COVID-19 pandemic, but cannabis users are still searching for high potency strains. One problem lies in accessibility. Despite the increased number of states legalizing medical and recreational cannabis, some of the strongest cannabis strains are only available in markets without national or international distribution.
However, if you are looking for the strongest cannabis strain late in 2020, you might consider shopping the following.
The strongest cannabis strains in 2020-2021
Any list of potent strains should include classics like Girl Scout Cookies and Bruce Banner, but there are competitors out there. Basically, there is one metric in this list; that is, potency is a function of the high THC count. There are other strains high in CBD, but when people talk “potency,” they are focused on the THC brain adventure. All these strains pack a real punch; some of them push your experience to the edge. They are listed here leading to the highest THC content.
10. Ghost Train Haze: At 18% THC, Ghost Train Haze is widely available and extremely popular among veteran cannabis users. The high THC level is manageable, and most veterans prefer not to push the envelop further. It hits hard and early with a creative focus following a wave of energy.
9. Chemdog (Chemdawg): The Chemdog strain offers a 19% THC euphoric punch in a flavorful mix of citrus and diesel. It reportedly relieves chronic stress with a creative focus that offsets wandering thoughts and voices. It is a great option for use among a social group.
8. Death Star: This strain has been tested at 26% THC, but it levels out at 19.5%. Some 80% Indica, it offers a diesel flavor and skunky aroma that will give you away. People use it for relief of insomnia, stress, and nausea. The medical benefits follow a clarifying energy.
7. Kosher Kush: Ghost OG, Kosher Kush, and Original Glue each hold 20% THC with varied experiences. Kosher Kush is an award winning Indica with a heavy tranquilizing influence. Ghost OG has the potency that goes with Kush genetics and hammers you with a high euphoria leading to a pleasant relaxation. And the Cannabis Cup winner Original Glue will leave you fully sedated and couch locked.
7. White Fire OG (Wi-Fi OG): Testing 21.% to 25%, White Fire OG will lift you high with a giddy euphoria and illusive creativity. A touch of diesel threads through is earthy and floral aroma and taste. White Fire OG will not relax you, so should not use it before bed.
6. The White: Named for its snow-white appearance, The White is not available everywhere. The lemon and pine effects come with a smack in the front of the head triggered by the 25% (on the average) THC content. Despite the early and heavy electric buzz, it settles into a heavily medicated benefit for reducing anxiety, stress, and pain.
5. Royal Gorilla: A CannaConnection award winner, Royal Gorilla delivers 25%+ THC. You will enjoy a short euphoric high leading to a stoner’s dream of a couch-lock sedation. It serves to erase the stress of the day and reduce sleeping disorders.
4. Green Gelato: If you like sweet flavor and aroma, you will like the Green Gelato that comes from Sunset Sherbet and Thin Mint Cookies. Its 25+% THC offers a total body high that resolves as a couch-lock chill for hours. Cookies Gelato has a high THC (average 25%) content, too. Also rich in taste and aroma, Cookies Gelato does present a more balanced experience than the Green Gelato.
3. Triple G (Triple Kush): Triple G cloaks its 26% to 28% THC) with rich flavors of berries and chocolate. It leaves user fully and deeply relaxed after an initial euphoria that lasts only a short time. Effects benefit those seeking therapy for stress, pain, and the nausea related to chemotherapy.
2. Hulkberry: Hulkberry holds High Times Cannabis Cup awards for its overall value. It is a successful hybrid of OG Kush and Strawberry Diesel for a balanced experience favoring its 28+% THC. Hulkberry produces a body high with a calming brain experience. Users recommend it for chronic pain, involuntary muscle spasms, loss of appetite, and migraines and cramps.
1. Godfather OG (Don of All OGs): Few strains can touch the 34% THC in Godfather OG strain. (You will find it at averaging somewhere above 28% at most dispensaries.) A High Times Award winner, the potency melts a powerful cerebral experience into a full body lock to treat anxiety, pain, and stress.
There’s even more –
There are other strains making the news. If you are in the market for high THC experiences, you might also look for Romulan Haze (20%), Where’s My Bike (26%), Island Sweet Skunk (19%), or Gorilla Zkittlez (24%).
Like those listed above, these strains trigger strong psychoactive experiences which can be risky for novice users. They are not strains to use throughout the day nor to use in connection with work. One way or another, they deliver deep body experiences that prohibit using machinery or driving vehicles. Nonetheless, these strains also produce therapeutic relief from pain, depression/stress, and symptoms related to cancer treatments, PTSD, and PMS.
These strains should not be used alone. The experience may be extreme for some, and those users would benefit from friends able to help. They also should not be the first choice for new users. The inexperienced may find these strains enjoyable and medically helpful, but they should start with small doses of the lowest THC level and titrate up as they build tolerance for the highs and lows in the experience.
As we end 2020, we hope to move well beyond the troubles we have experienced this year. There is a sense that 2021 just has to be better. One way or another, these strains can get you through the new year.
Recreational and Medical Marijuana News, Articles and Information: What are the Strongest Cannabis Strains in 2020-2021?